In the mountains of northern Spain, farmers and laypeople have competed in rural Strongman sports for generations. Stone lifting, wood cutting, bale tossing — the sports themselves carried over from years of manual labor, of daily life surviving off the land. LEVANTADORES introduces this rich culture which has helped influence a generation of modern day Strongman who are doing what they can to keep this heritage alive.
– Author: Indalecio Ojanguren, Source: Gipuzkoako Foru Aldundiko Kultura eta Euskara Departamentua, Title: 03_sendia.jpg, Adapted
– Author: Indalecio Ojanguren, Source: Gipuzkoako Foru Aldundiko Kultura eta Euskara Departamentua, Title: 07_laiatzen.jpg, Adapted
– Author: Artberri, Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/artberri/5271329836/, Title: Trontzea, Euskal Herria.jpg, Adapted
– Author: Indalecio Ojanguren, Source: Gipuzkoako Artxibo Orokorra (GFA) http://www.guregipuzkoa.net/photo/3546, Title: IngudeAltxaketa.jpg, Adapted
– Author: Indalecio Ojanguren, Source: Gipuzkoako Artxibo Orokorra (GFA) http://www.guregipuzkoa.net/photo/57, Title: Laiariak.jpg, Adapted
CC-BY-SA-3.0Images from GureGipuzkoa
Remainder of still images used with permission by the owner(s)
Thanks to all who participated in the creation of this film — all the families and individuals who let us into their homes and shared their culture with us.
Jan and Terry Todd
Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports
Additional thanks to Maite and the Rural-Mañe family for use of family photo archive